Unwritten~*

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Surg SIP: after-thoughts

Surgical SIP is finally over. Though in retrospect, the four weeks really flew by! It seems like a much shorter time than med SIP. But then, being so busy sure helps time to grow wings lah.

I have SIP withdrawal syndrome again. haha! shucks. It's quite sian to return to labcoat life! Although part of me is relieved to have time to study properly now, part of me is dreading the Big Day that is looming ever so close! Urgh. And my Leaky Brain has yet to be patched!

And I do miss working with my HOs, I guess the plus point of being in such a terribly busy team means that you sympathise with each other more and try to help each other more! Good for bonding, although this can backfire depending on the individuals involved. haah =P and my HOs were really nice lah, it's a joy working with them! Imagine if you have nasty co-workers you can't stand... I would probably ditch them and run away! Wei Da is always very apologetic about asking us to do things (although towards the end we were thrown unceremoniously to debride paitents while they continue rounding the 36 patients on our ballooning list)! And he always like to scold da bian, it's his favourite word lor. hee. and he will dole out his own supply of multivits for us to take (which for some reason are humongous pills). and for smone from a certain sec sch not well-known for being gentlemanly, he does prove the stereotypical view wrong. heehee. and he developed delusions of grandeur towards the end, he thinks I am his ya-huan. And I heard from another SIP he ordered her to get him tissue. Tsktsk. IMH pls.

and to think I actually achieved 100% success rate setting plugs and taking bloods on my last night call! *beams* (though the feat was never repeated again on the following days hiak) ah well, we can't have it all!

I kind of miss the hideous vascular bag which me and xtine take turns to carry on our rounds. And it probably has been replaced by a more posh-looking stern black laptop bag. (i think our consultanst were too ashamed to be seen with us when we carried the yellow ah-ma bag! hah) but yar lah, it is kind of weird for a vascular bag to have the words Zespri Kiwifruit on it.

And I do miss some of the patients. Hope Mdm KCL cheers up soon! It's so sad to see her so depressed. We have gotten so used to beaming at her in the hope of teasing a smile out of her. Ah well at least Mr Baa Baa has came out of isolation! On our very last day too! He looks so much cheerier and happier. =D

And our team drs are actually quite nice, we felt kind of bad when they were so effusive in thanking us for all our help! (basically we don't really do alot although we stay late!) we only do odd jobs one. sort of like robots. haha. But it felt nice to be made to feel we really made a difference. =P and Ms Chng treated us to dim sum at Imperial Treasure! The custard buns were heavenly. So good. mmmmm. *salivates*

Our last day was as usual crazily busy, but at least we all went out for a "farewell" dinner! There were so many debridements we all got to do one or two that day! It's like a parting gift to us haah. And I think i am overenthusiastic about debriding. I heard both my patients didn't stop bleeding for awhile after. Oops. *sheepish* I think i didn't really tie the dressing towel tight enough. gah.

We presented our HOs with a resus bag on our last day! These included redbull drinks for the extra spurt of energy, a rum bacardi to celebrate their impending end of this busy posting, and snacks to tide them through! (we all almost died when we ate lunch at 7plus on our last wednesday) ha and as a joke these were placed in a bag identical to the vascular bag. Sure hope they survive this coming last week! I sincerely believe all those who belonged to this team should go for an OGD at the end to check for gastric/duodenal ulcers. High possibility of it.

Time to revert to my life of normal meal-times and more decent waking hrs and more mugging time. Despite this, I will miss my four weeks in SIP. =P

1 Comments:

Blogger 都市女郎,童话般的心灵 said...

Wow... Glad to know that ur IV plug setting skills have improved tremedously *applaud*!!! So happy for u... Msut jia you and practice more ya... Zai jie zai li... Wish u all the best for all the up coming posting/exams... Jia you k... We shall go fo KTV once u and QY are done with the exams ya... :)

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home